Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Tale of Two Body Builds: ABC Sileighty + Addiction BN Sports Part 1

Not long ago I saw a video on YouTube from Street Break Circuit that featured a USDM 240SX Coupe. ABC Hobby doesn't make that particular body, and the one in the video had the front end from the ABC 180SX grafted on. As much as I loved the shell, I could not justify buying two pricey bodies only to cut one up for the front clip. Then after some searching I learned that the pig nose 180SX body came molded as a Sileighty that included a separate nose section with the pop up headlights.

That is when the lightbulb came on and a plan was formed. I ended up buying both bodies to build. The Sileighty is being built first and I intend to put it up for sale once it is completed to offset the cost of getting the parts I needed to do the 240SX. Originally, I was just going to make it a stock version of a Sil80, but the new Addiction RC BN Sports kits kept calling my name, so I picked up those sets as well, and I'm glad I did.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

New Build Coming Soon: Yokomo DP Type C

I've had a Yokomo Drift Package build on my 'to do' list for a long time. Looks like it has finally made it near the top of the list. My intention is to make this a two-stage build. First the plan is to build it mostly stock, using a few upgrades up front to convert it to RWD. I really want to experience it in all it's plastic tub chassis glory! :) Eventually I wold like to pair it up with one of the many conversion chassis that are available for the full experience. This chassis should keep me busy for a while...

Monday, January 18, 2016

Designing a New Style of Wire Retainer

One of the things that I haven't used in my chassis builds up until now is motor wire retainers. I like the look of them, but don't care for the cost. Once I have my motor wires all done up neatly, what do I do with the sensor cable? Recently I gained access to a 3D printer, so I thought I would work on a better wire retainer design as a first project. Someone may have already done it, but I have not seen a design that also retains the sensor cable. So I modeled up the design in Solidworks, and printed out the first prototype parts.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Project Bad Bunny: Status Complete

This project has taken some time, but I am happy with the end result. The primary goal was a dark and subtle style for this Rocket Bunny FD RX-7, and I think that goal was achieved. I have to give special thanks to P!PES RC Exhaust, who provided the awesome "BigAss CF Muffler" for this build. This is a brand new product for P!PES and I am honored to be a part of the introduction and advertisement for it.  As usual the quality is top notch, and the look is distinctive.

Full gallery after the jump...

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Sakura D4: Suspension Blocks and Rear Lower Arms

A lot of time has been spent de-anodizing (pink) and polishing aluminum parts on this chassis, and hopefully this will be the last batch for a while. It is really time consuming.

I would have done these mods earlier, but had to wait for some of the parts to be in stock. The suspension blocks are from 3 Racing and the rear arms are Yeah Racing D3 arms. As mentioned in an earlier post, I like the D3 arms because of the narrower track compared to the D4 arms, giving a little more adjustment range by using spacers and/or wheel offset. This is a short term solution while I am waiting for Usukani to release their new rear arm design. Hopefully soon...

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Sakura D4 + Usukani + Punisher S13 @ Tri Acres

I have been posting about my D4 RWD recently with all the Usukani parts installed, and have been talking about how I am loving the way the car runs. Finally I got a chance to put together some video of it in action at Tri Acres RC Drift Circuit. Here it is in the current state of tune.